Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Electric Bike - eZip Mountain Bike?

OK,

So, it doesn't look like my electric car dream is going to pan out any time soon. My lack of knowledge and expendable cash have pretty much made sure of that.


So, I still want a gasoline free vehicle. Honestly I work from home. I live in Las Vegas where it hardly ever rains or gets anywhere near unbearably cold. Vegas is also a very well planned out little city, so I honestly don't even really need to travel more than a few miles to get anything - food, clothing, really - anything. So far, an elecric bike makes a whole lot of sense.


My longest journey each week is about a 16 mile round trip on a realatively flat path - errands, at locations chosen for their convenience to my boss, not me. This might be a stretch for your entry level electric bike.


Keep in mind that $ is a serious consideration. (and, well, I still have a car so NEED isn't necesarily a motivator). That said, I am seriously considering the eZip Electric Mountain Bike for just shy of $400 online, including free shipping. (looks like you can get it at some Walmart stores too for about the same price + tax.


The majority of the reviews I have read have been favorable. From what I gather, it should drag my 187 lb bod around 14 miles or so with little effort - especially if I add a second battery for about 100 bucks. The biggest downside for me is the overall weight of the thing. at about 80lbs, it may be a little awkward to try to heave it up to my second floor apartment. Maybe I can "drive" it up the steps ???

Most electic bike kits in this price range don't appear to offer much more in the way of range and/or speed, don't include the bike itself, and most likely require a little more mechanical/electrical apptitude than I can personally apply to such a project.

I'm really hoping that the eZip will get me going. I also looking forward to possibly pillaging it and putting the important parts on a lighter bike. Li-on batteries also look like a possibility down the road and weigh in at about 1/2 of the stock batteries. All in an effort to maximize the potential of the electric motor from the bike.

Who knows. We will see if I can make the electric bike materialize.

0 comments: